The Vinestead Universe
Much has been written about the Vinestead Universe, perhaps too much to keep in your head unless you're the one responsible for writing it. To help you keep everything straight, the most important events from the novels, short stories, blog posts, and drunken ramblings have been collected here.
Minor spoilers for older books.
- Perion Synthetics is founded by James Perion.
- Katsumi Enterprises debuts the "sliver," a small piece of metal with an LED readout that can be embedded in a user's wrist. The sliver functions as a watch, instant messenger, and news aggregator. In virtual reality, a sliver can be used as a programming device.
- XFX debuts a fully immersive virtual reality known simply as "the Net." Initially deployed to universities and military networks, the Net becomes a ubiquitous consumer product within four years.
- ZabSix cipher den is founded by Anela Zabora.
- Black Star Circle releases iMerse Dot0 virtual reality immersion rig.
- Arthur Sedivy named CEO of Vinestead International.
- Vinestead engineer Kenneth Barnes develops the first prototype of the Guardian Angel biochip.
- Vitra Computer Systems subsidiary VitraC releases consumer-grade virtual reality immersion rig.
- Koertig Electronics releases virtual reality immersion rig at half of VitraC's asking price.
- Software company Accent Ascension acquired by Vinestead International.
- Kenneth Barnes develops House of Nepenthe, a self-constained construct that allows dying or comatose users to communicate with the outside world via VNet. The project is buried by Vinestead International.
- Vinestead International launches consumer version of Guardian Angel biochip (AKA "GA Chip" and "Georgia Chip").
- Anela Zabora is during an attack on the ZabSix cipher den in Austin, Texas.
- VNet (The Vinestead Network) virtual reality service launches as an alternative to the Net.
- Lincoln Continental founded by Lincoln Tate.
- Companion Dynamics acquired by Vinestead International.
- "Guardian Angel Bill" passes, requiring all newborns and naturalized citizens to be implanted with Vinestead International's Guardian Angel chip.
- "The Reaping" - Calle Cinco cipher den launches attack on Vinestead International.
- Artificial intelligence project Lassiter kills 27 Vinestead employees at internal demo.
- Kitzingen Escorts acquired by Vinestead International.
- MX military debuts Ayudante biochip.
- Nixle Chronos debuts OcularAR augmented reality prototype.
- "Calle Cinco de Mayo" - Kaili Zabora leads attack on nationwide air traffic control system, causing the deaths of 7,507 people.
- November 10 - James Kirkland Perion passes away at age 77 after a short battle with pancreatic cancer.
- "The Great Synthetic Collapse"
- The APOX Incident
- Mars is colonized by synthetic humans
- Social media company Pattrn closes after five-year legal battle with privacy advocacy groups.
- The Sepideh Ahmadi incident
- Adult film star August Monroe is first female elected President of the United States
- Presidential elections suspended
- "The Second Great Synthetic Collapse"
- Construction of the J. Perion Tower begins in Easton Consolidated, Texas Territory.
- Nixle Chronos sued by Vinestead International after failure of "Veneer" augmented reality service.